For many centuries, mankind has been printing words and images on paper by using huge, mechanical printing presses. This process, known as offset printing, has been expensive and time-consuming, but it was the only way to print words and images on paper. With the proliferation of computers, digital printing became a viable printing alternative. Many professional printing companies have switched over to digital printing and are using digital presses to create a vast array of high-quality printed materials. Professional printers are using digital presses to print everything from single-page signs and graphics to multi-page manuscripts, brochures, and books.
Here are some of the reasons why digital printing has become so popular:
- High-Quality Prints - Digital printing produces high-quality prints at a minimum of 300 dots per inch. Although image quality was also high with offset printing, the visual difference between digital prints and offset prints is barely detectable.
- Preparation Time - Digital printing does not need the elaborate setup and preparation times that offset printing does. Therefore, digital print jobs are being completed quickly and efficiently. This fact alone is popularizing digital printing.
- Color Quality - Digital printing is a four-color printing process that uses thousands of dots of powdered color to print files. This process is less expensive and faster compared to offset printing which uses a combination of colored ink and solvent or ink and water.
- Changeability - Digital printing files are easily changeable to personalize the projects being printed. After changes are made, the newly altered file is electronically sent over to the printer. Changes in offset printing projects involve time-consuming breakdowns and setups of the press each time changes are made to a print project.
- Precision and Accuracy - Digital printing uses precise digital measurements to align and print each page of a book or multi-page project. Offset printing relies on the mechanics of the printing press to align and print products. Although both processes are accurate, the digital method is more efficient and faster.
- Print Time - Offset printing uses a combination of ink and solvent or ink and water to print text and images onto paper. Digital printers use powdered pigments that are sprayed directly onto paper and then permanently fused to the paper with heat. This eliminates the slower print time of offset printing.
- Print Cost - Digital printing is cost effective because, unlike offset printing, it doesn't need to etch the words and images of the file onto metal plates and then press those inked plates onto paper to create printed materials. This makes digital printing faster.
- Equipment Cost - Professional offset printing presses are expensive. Today's high-end professional digital printers are less expensive so they are affordable for small and large printing companies and other businesses. Some individuals are also taking advantage of the affordability of new digital equipment.
Digital printing is fast, cheap, accurate, colorful and customizable. Digital printing is the most efficient and the fastest way to print today. If you need professional printing services, choose a company (such as Houston Signs Ltd) that has converted to digital printing presses. If you wish to purchase a state-of-the-art printer for yourself or your business, choose a digital printer. It is the way of the future.